Situated at the confluence of Dead River and the Hillsborough River, this park is a pleasant place to unwind. Nature lovers appreciate a scenic two-mile trail alongside the Hillsborough River.
15098 Dead River Road
Thonotosassa, FL 33592
- 2-mile unpaved, elevated single-lane road.
- Bicycles allowed on river trail.
- Always yield to foot travelers.
- Do not skid.
- Florida law requires bicyclists under 16 to wear helmets.
- (Bird Watching) Site located on western section of Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail.
- Contact Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) for more information.
- Camping fee.
- Campsite available to youth groups by reservation only. Minimum of 6 and maximum of 30 campers allowed. Groups must have their own insurance.
- A 0.25-mile hiking trail for use by campers located adjacent to campground.
- Bathhouse and picnic facilities provided.
- Available on Hillsborough River.
- Contact FWC (FWC) for license requirements.
- 2-mile entrance road.
- 2-mile natural surface river trail.
- Canoe launch is a short portage from parking area.
- Canoe landing upstream one mile at old Reagan home site.
- Hillsborough River State Park located further upstream.
- Downstream is Seventeen Runs. This portion of Hillsborough River State Canoe Trail is designated as a primitive trail. Experienced paddlers only. Deadfall obstacles are frequent, dry ground for rest breaks is hard to find and the many forking channels can easily disorient paddlers. Pay close attention to flow of river and look for trail markers.
- Picnic tables located a short walk from parking area.
- Disabled individuals may contact park in advance for special vehicle access.
- About nine miles northeast of I-75. From I-75, exit at Fowler Avenue, travel east for 1.5 miles. Turn left onto US 301, heading north. Drive about 8 miles and look for Dead River Road on left. Follow this road 0.75 miles to a gate. If open, drive to parking lot at end of road — about 2 miles.
- Admission fee.
- Visitors may drive scenic entrance road to main parking area during normal operating hours on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- ADA access and facilities available.
Restroom and water fountain located by picnic area.
- Dogs must be on a leash no more than six feet in length.
- Owners are required by law to pick up after dogs.
- Hillsborough County's Dead River Wilderness Park, (813) 987-6210
- Hillsborough County Conservation and Environmental Lands Management Department, HillsboroughCounty.org/Conservation.
- Hillsborough River Canoe Trail maps available from Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Office of Greenways & Trails, FloridaGreenwaysandTrails.com