Located near the mouth of Trout Creek, this property on the Hillsborough River is popular for fishing, canoeing and group picnics. It is a pleasant place to get away for a midday break or to take small children for a mini-adventure.
Prior to District acquisition, development of a small housing subdivision had begun on the north side of the river. Concrete foundations and other artifacts remain for the astute observer. The lakes east of the entrance road are all man-made, either the result of borrow pits where fill dirt was removed to help build the levee and park facilities, or mitigation for road work that impacted wetlands.
The District operates an adjacent water-control structure on the Hillsborough River under agreement with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
12550 Morris Bridge Road
Thonotosassa, FL 33592
- Off-road cyclists enjoy the Wilderness Park Off Road Trails System
- Florida law requires bicyclists under 16 to wear helmets.
- (Bird Watching) Site located on western section of Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail.
- Contact Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) for more information.
- Canoe or small boat must be hand carried to river.
- Canoe launch provides access to Hillsborough River Canoe Trail.
- To get to Trout Creek, paddle upstream for a short distance to the opening. Water is usually not high enough to navigate far.
- From river boardwalk, along riverbank, by boat on Hillsborough River or Trout Creek, and on banks of lakes.
- Contact FWC for license requirements.
- Nature trail is a short, easy walk on a firm surface suitable for families and strollers. At the end of the trail, a primitive trail loops back through floodplain forest to parking area.
- Fishing trails around lakes. Beware of uneven terrain.
- Cross-country runners and hikers enjoy the Wilderness Park Off Road Trails System. Beware of fast-moving bicycles.
- Picnic tables and three pavilions with grills.
- Pavilions may be reserved in advance for a fee.
- From I-75 exit at Fletcher Avenue, head northeast on Morris Bridge Road for 0.5 miles. Look for park entrance on left. Follow road 1 mile to parking area.
- Canoe launch has separate parking.
- Watch for bicycles on road.
- Admission fee.
- ADA access and facilities available.
- Restroom, water fountain, bike wash and recycling container.
- Dogs must be on a leash no more than six feet in length.
- Owners are required by law to pick up after dogs.
- Trout Creek Park, (813) 987-6200
- Hillsborough River Canoe Trail maps available from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Office of Greenways and Trails, FloridaGreenwaysandTrails.com
- Hillsborough County Conservation and Environmental Lands Management Department, HillsboroughCounty.org/Conservation.