The Tampa Bypass Canal (TBC) is a 14-mile waterway that connects the Lower Hillsborough Wilderness Preserve with McKay Bay. The canal provides flood protection for the cities of Temple Terrace and Tampa by diverting floodwaters from the Hillsborough River. The canal is also a water supply source for the city of Tampa.
- Allowed on canal bank and 0.75-mile paved trail at Veterans Memorial Park.
- Florida law requires bicyclists under 16 to wear helmets.
- North of SR 60 (fresh water): Boating access from Harney Canal Park off US 301. Motors up to 10 HP allowed. This portion is a no-wake zone.
- South of SR 60 (salt water): Powerboating allowed with no restrictions. Access from McKay Bay or private ramps.
- Bank fishing from public access points and parks along canal.
- Contact FWC for license requirements.
- Along grassy canal bank from designated access points.
Tampa Bypass/Harney Canal Park – 12 acres
7171 North US 301
- Facilities include boat ramp, parking, fishing pier, portable toilets and picnic tables.
- Boat ramp fees.
- Summer: 7 a.m.–8 p.m.
Winter: 7 a.m.–6 p.m.
- Fishing pier and portable toilets universally accessible.
- Operated by Hillsborough County Conservation and Environmental Lands Management
Department (HCCEL), HillsboroughCounty.org/Conservation
Temple Terrace Youth Sports Complex – 22 acres
10369 US 301
- Baseball and soccer complex open primarily for scheduled activities.
- Restrooms and water fountains universally accessible.
- Operated by Temple Terrace.
Veteran’s Memorial Park and Museum – 16 acres
3602 US 301
- Open daily and on weekends. Call for more information.
- Facilities include picnic shelters, tables, grills, restrooms and a 0.75-mile paved trail for walking, bicycling and inline skating.
- ADA access at park.
- Owners are required by law to pick up after dogs.
- Operated by HCCEL, HillsboroughCounty.org/Conservation
- Various public access points as shown on map.
- Paved parking available at Veterans Memorial Park and Harney Canal Park.
- Parking at other access points are off the road or on grass. Do not block gates.
- ADA access and facilities available.
Limited Access Areas
- No swimming allowed and no trespassing within barriers or fenced areas around water-control structures.
- For your safety, observe all restricted areas.
- Available at some developed park sites but not along canal.
- East Tampa
- Land Resources, Southwest Florida Water Management District, 1-800-423-1476 (FL only) or (352) 796-7211, ext. 4470