The Southwest Florida Water Management District (District) awarded $104,941.81 in grants to 48 educators within the District as part of the Splash! school grant program. The program provides up to $3,000 per school to enhance student knowledge of freshwater resources in grades K-12.
Splash! grants encourage hands-on student learning through STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) activities as well as engagement of the greater school community through awareness campaigns. Each school district allocates a portion of their annual youth education funding provided by the District to support the Splash! grants in their county.
The District awarded grants to the following schools/teachers in Manatee and Sarasota counties:
- Braden River High School - Sharon Itts (Manatee)
- Laurel Nokomis School - Karen Senarens (Sarasota)
- Manatee High School - Boontarika Elswick (Manatee)
- Palmetto High School - Brianne Hill and Natalie Richard (Manatee)
- R. Dan Nolan Middle School - Michelle Boculac (Manatee)
- Sarasota School of Arts and Sciences - Christine Fleming (Sarasota)
Grants are available for freshwater resources field studies, water-conserving garden projects, community or school awareness campaigns and on-site workshops. For more information, please visit the District’s website at WaterMatters.org/SchoolGrants.