This property was acquired to protect and preserve natural water resources and the water quality of the Withlacoochee River, Gum Slough and associated tributaries. The Withlacoochee River, Gum Slough and Gum Springs Run are located adjacent to the property and were designated Outstanding Florida Waters in 1989. Gum Slough is a four-mile-long spring run that flows into the Withlacoochee River. The water in Gum Slough comes from several springs, which makes it remarkably clear and appealing. For the most part, the riverine shores along the property are still natural and undeveloped. The upland areas of the property are a mixture of natural pine flatwoods and oak hammock.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) owns the property along the eastern boundary of the District’s property. These ownerships combined represent 9,480 acres of public lands known as the Half Moon Wildlife Management Area, which is managed by the FWC.
8864 CR 247
Lake Panasoffkee, FL 33538
- 24 miles of designated or marked multiuse trails.
- Florida law requires bicyclists under 16 to wear helmets.
- 24 miles of marked or designated multiuse trails.
- Each rider must carry proof of horse’s current negative Coggins test.
- Equestrian use not permitted during hunting seasons.
- Florida law requires equestrians under 16 to wear helmets.
- Designated freshwater ponds open for fishing.
- Contact FWC for license requirements.
- 24 miles of trails.
- During hunts, hikers are encouraged to wear hunter orange or other bright color above the waist.
- Wet crossings are present along tram road.
- Contact FWC for information regarding license requirements and permits.
- FWC rules and regulations must be observed throughout the year.
- Picnic facilities throughout property.
- Travel west on SR 44 approximately 7 miles to CR 247. Head north on CR 247 to public entrance gate.
- ADA access and facilities available.
Restrooms and water available at check station.
Northwestern Sumter County, northeast of Inverness
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, (352) 732-1225
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission will be conducting managed hunts on the following dates:
- October 9-11, 2020
- October 16-18, 2020
- October 30 - November 1, 2020
- November 14-16, 2020
- November 20-22, 2020
- December 4-20, 2020
- January 15-17, 2021
- January 22-24, 2021
- January 29-31, 2021
- March 13-14, 2021
- March 20-22, 2021
- March 26-28, 2021
- April 2-4, 2021