The Southwest Florida Water Management District (District) awarded $104,941.81 in grants to 48 educators within the District as part of the Splash! school grant program. The program provides up to $3,000 per school to enhance student knowledge of freshwater resources in grades K-12.
Splash! grants encourage hands-on student learning through STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) activities as well as engagement of the greater school community through awareness campaigns. Each school district allocates a portion of their annual youth education funding provided by the District to support the Splash! grants in their county.
The District awarded grants to the following schools/teachers in Pasco County:
- Bayonet Point Middle School - Rowenna Collins
- Hudson Academy - Shamsher Lamba
- James M. Marlowe Elementary School - Michelle Wainwright
- Quail Hollow Elementary School - Lora Darby
- Richey Elementary School - Angela Taylor and Shaun Burr
- Sunlake High School - Gail Charpin
Grants are available for freshwater resources field studies, water-conserving garden projects, community or school awareness campaigns and on-site workshops. For more information, please visit the District’s website at WaterMatters.org/SchoolGrants.