The Southwest Florida Water Management District (District) awarded $107,969 in grants to 58 educators within the District as part of the Splash! school grant program. The program provides up to $3,000 per school to enhance student knowledge of freshwater resources in grades K-12.
Splash! grants encourage hands-on student learning through STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) activities as well as engagement of the greater school community through awareness campaigns. Each school district allocates a portion of their annual youth education funding provided by the District to support the Splash! grants in their county.
The District awarded grants to the following schools/teachers in Pasco and Pinellas counties:
- East Pasco Education Academy - Dr. Jose Olmo (Pasco)
- J. W. Mitchell High School - Dennis Koslin (Pasco)
- James M. Marlowe Elementary School - Michelle Wainwright (Pasco)
- Moon Lake Elementary School - Amy Craver (Pasco)
- Pine View Elementary School - Jaime Gauvin (Pasco)
- John M. Sexton Elementary School - Sheena Bennett (Pinellas)
- Plato Academy St. Petersburg - Carrie Showalter (Pinellas)
Grants are available to support water education programs and activities that are focused on water cycle basics, freshwater or estuarian ecosystems, water quality and water conservation. For more information, please visit the District’s website at WaterMatters.org/SchoolGrants.