We all play a role in protecting and conserving our water resources, both above and below ground. But we need leaders like YOU to help inspire others and become a water superhero!
How can you become a water superhero? Start by incorporating some of the actions in the chart below into your everyday life. It’s also important to educate your friends, family and neighbors to encourage them to do the same!
Ways to Conserve Water
- Take short, 5-minute showers.
- Turn off the faucet when brushing your teeth or washing your hands.
- Install water-saving fixtures. Low-flow showerheads and faucet aerators help reduce the amount of water being used per minute.
- Flush less. Only flush the toilet when you need to and don’t use it as a trash can.
- Check toilets and faucets for leaks regularly.
- Water your lawn and plants only when they need it. And remember to account for natural rainfall when deciding if water is needed.
- Use a nozzle on your garden hose to control the flow of water and reduce waste.
Ways to Protect Water Quality
- Never dump anything down a storm drain.
- Properly dispose of pet waste.
- Never leave behind trash and recycle when possible.
- Follow Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ principles.
- Use fertilizers and pesticides sparingly.
- Control soil erosion by planting vegetation.
- Collect rainwater in rain barrels for lawn use.
- Compost yard waste.
- Properly dispose of hazardous household chemicals.
- Direct downspouts away from paved surfaces.