Emergency Operations Center at Level 1 Activation
Southwest Florida Water Management District (District) officials have raised the activation level of the District’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to Level 1 as they continue to monitor Tropical Storm Nicole. The EOC provides direction regarding District activities during an emergency weather event.
Level 1 activation is utilized when a specific weather situation has developed into an emergency. Level 1 is full activation, and the EOC will:
- Mobilize appropriate District emergency personnel to participate in emergency operations.
- Suspend normal departmental functions throughout the District that might interfere with emergency operations — all others continue.
- Monitor water levels and operate water control structures on water bodies throughout the District’s 16-county area as needed.
- Present daily (or as-needed) situation reports to the state EOC and maintain direct communications with the state and affected county EOCs.
- Ensure current event information is distributed to all District staff.
The EOC also directs District field crews, responds to requests from the state EOC, and provides water resource updates to state and local emergency management agencies, the media and the general public. The District EOC will expand to include additional emergency personnel as the situation demands.
Information concerning District-related meeting cancellations and office closures will also be provided to the media and made available on the District’s website at WaterMatters.org.