Best known for its seven-mile paved loop road, which serves as a multiuse trail, Flatwoods Park provides a welcome getaway from Tampa’s developed landscape. The Morris Bridge well field is located within the park, and well houses can be observed along the trail. A two-mile paved extension connects Bruce B. Downs Boulevard with the loop road. Flatwoods Park Trail is a paved 1-mile connection between Morris Bridge Road and the loop road.
- Loop road gives bicyclists a woods experience.
- Off-road cyclists enjoy the Wilderness Park Off Road Trails System.
- Florida law requires bicyclists under 16 to wear helmets.
- Beware of pronounced lip on loop road shoulder and use extreme care when entering or exiting pavement.
- Use proper trail etiquette on and off pavement. Warn others when passing from behind. When stopping, move completely off trail. Use caution at blind corners and make your presence known. Pack out litter. Avoid muddy trails. Do not skid.
- Seven-mile paved loop road, which serves as a multiuse trail.
- Site 102 on western section of Great Florida Birding Trail.
- Contact Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission for more information.
- Dogs and their owners favor 1-mile segment of Levee Road from Bruce B. Downs Boulevard to north end of loop road.
- Nature trails are short, easy walks.
- Long-distance runners and triathletes train on loop road.
- Cross-country runners and hikers enjoy the Wilderness Park Off Road Trails System. Beware of fast-moving bicycles.
- Picnic shelters, grills and tables available at several well houses.
- Shelter reservation fee.
Access and Parking
- Main entrance about 5 miles northeast of I-75 on Morris Bridge Road (CR 579) at Flatwoods Park Trail. Flatwoods Visitor Center located 0.5 miles inside entrance. Additional parking available 0.5 miles further west where the loop trail begins.
- Bruce B. Downs Boulevard (CR 581) entrance 1 mile northeast of I-75.
- Admission fee.
- Personal vehicles allowed in park at designated points.
- ADA access and facilities available.
Restrooms and Water
Restrooms, water, pay telephone, cold drinks, bike wash and picnic tables at Flatwoods Visitor Center. Four rest shelters with water coolers and paper cups interspersed along loop road. Restrooms at Bruce B. Downs Boulevard entrance.
- Dogs must be on a leash no more than six feet in length.
- Owners are requested to pick up after dog.
For More Information
- Hillsborough County’s Flatwoods Park, (813) 987-6211
- Hillsborough County Parks, Recreation and Conservation Department, (813) 672-7876