(See Green Swamp Wilderness Preserve for overall information.)
- 46 miles of marked multiuse trails.
- Florida law requires bicyclists under 16 to wear helmets.
- Site 64 on western section of Great Florida Birding Trail.
- Contact FWC for more information.
Boating and Paddling
- Small boat ramp available on River Road.
- Withlacoochee River offers remote wilderness experience.
Equestrian, Group and Primitive Sites:
- Ashley campsite has vault toilet, nonpotable water, picnic tables, fire rings and/or grills.
- Cumpressco campsite has portable toilet, nonpotable water, picnic tables, fire rings and/or grills.
- McNeil group campsite has portable toilet, picnic tables and/or grills.
- Nonpotable water source available.
- A free reservation is required and must be displayed on dashboard at campground.
Backcountry Camping Sites:
- High Bluff, Foster Bridge, Concession Stand and Gator Hole.
- 60 miles of service roads.
- Each rider must carry proof of horse’s current negative Coggins test.
- Horse-drawn buggy riding only on marked trails; requires a free reservation.
- Florida law requires equestrians under 16 to wear helmets.
- Along Withlacoochee River; access best from River Road.
- Vehicle access from McNeil Road (SR 471) available by free reservation.
- Contact FWC for license requirements.
- Total 32.4 miles of Florida National Scenic Trail run through Green Swamp East and West tracts.
- 60 miles of additional marked trails.
- 1.5-mile side trail connects to Withlacoochee River Park.
Florida National Scenic Trail
- The Florida National Scenic Trail is maintained by the Florida Trail Association.
- Orange blaze symbols indicate primary trail. Blue blaze symbols indicate side trails. White blaze symbols indicate overnight loop. Double blaze symbols indicate a sharp turn in trail.
- During hunts, hikers are encouraged to wear hunter orange or other bright color above the waist.
- Contact FWC for information regarding license requirements and permits.
- FWC rules and regulations must be observed throughout the year.
- Picnic tables available inside main gate.
Access and Parking
- From US 301 in Dade City, follow River Road east five miles. Parking for river access and hiking trail on left; equestrians and bicyclists park at main gate.
- Additional parking off SR 471 at Cumpressco and McNeil entrances.
- ADA access and facilities available.
Restrooms and Water
- Restroom available at campground.
- Nonpotable water available at main entrance at River Road.
Eastern edge of Pasco County, just south of Withlacoochee State Forest (Richloam Tract), between US 98/US 301 and SR 471.
For More Information
Land Resources Department, Southwest Florida Water Management District, 1-800-423-1476 (FL only) or (352) 796-7211, ext. 4470