Proximity to the Charlotte Harbor estuary is reflected in the tidal nature of the river and its associated floodplain wetlands. The Peace River is highly braided in these lower reaches and the name of the property is derived from a prominent branch of the river, known historically as “Deep Creek,” which parallels the eastern boundary of the site.
About half of the property is pine flatwoods consisting of longleaf pines and a diverse mixture of native shrubs and herbs. A large number of freshwater marshes and wet prairies dot the landscape, and a series of intermittent streams discharge overflow from these wetland areas into Deep Creek during periods of high water. Narrow ridges of well-drained oak scrub and scrubby flatwoods line the margins of several of the creeks. Tidal swamp, bordered by small areas of salt marsh and mangrove forest, dominates the riverine floodplain.
A small area of improved pasture accounts for the only portion of the property that has been altered substantially from its natural state. The pasture’s location, near the intersection of Kings Highway (CR 769) and SW Peace River Street, provides convenient access.
Boating and Paddling
- Available at Deep Creek Park.
- Separate sites available for equestrian/primitive and backcountry camping.
- Sites have a picnic table, fire ring and/or grill.
- A free reservation is required and must be displayed or available at campground.
- This site has a picnic table, fire ring and/or grill.
- Approximately 7 miles of multiuse trails.
- Riders are required to stay on designated or marked trails.
- Each rider must carry proof of horse’s current negative Coggins test.
- Florida law requires equestrians under 16 to wear helmets.
- Bank fishing available along river.
- Contact Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission for license requirements.
- Approximately 9 miles of multiuse trails.
- Prepare for wet hiking; some trails are excessively wet during certain times of year.
- Pavilion available at Deep Creek Park.
Access and Parking
- Access is from SW Peace River Street off Kings Highway (CR 769). Parking area and walkthrough
- Additional access available from Deep Creek Park, adjacent to public boat ramp.
- ADA access and facilities available at Deep Creek Park.
Restrooms and Water
- No restrooms or water available at entrance.
- ADA accessible portable toilet and nonpotable water available in equestrian campground.
- Restrooms available at Deep Creek Park.
Nearby Recreation Lands
For More Information
- Reservations may be made at WaterMatters.org/Reservation.
- Land Resources, Southwest Florida Water Management District, 1-800-423-1476 (FL only) or (352) 796-7211, ext. 4470