Acquired in 2003 for preservation of natural systems, groundwater recharge, water quality and flood protection, the preserve offers a stunning landscape of steep sandhill ridges, expansive marshes, dense cypress sloughs and lush pine flatwoods. The preserve is a vital part of a wildlife habitat corridor envisioned by Pasco County and the District that will eventually connect the Starkey Wilderness Preserve to the Cypress Creek Preserve, making a continuous corridor of several thousands of acres in this region.
The District manages the preserve’s resources to protect and restore the natural and altered ecosystems when possible. This includes extensive restoration to areas that were converted to pasture when it was privately owned and managed as a ranch.
- Use only marked trails.
- 12.5 miles of unpaved cycling on designated or marked trails.
- Florida law requires bicyclists under 16 to wear helmets.
- Primitive campsite equipped with picnic table and fire ring; off main trail in eastern portion of preserve.
- A free reservation is required and must be displayed on dashboard at campground.
- 5.2 miles of designated or marked trails from SR 52 access point.
- Day-use reservations required to access equestrian parking area.
- Riders are required to stay on marked trails.
- Each rider must carry proof of horse’s current negative Coggins test.
- Florida law requires equestrians under 16 to wear helmets.
- 16 miles of hiking-only trails.
- Several miles of multiuse wooded roads available.
Model Airplane Flying Field
- Bay City Flyers Model Airplane Club.
- 25-acre site open to members and spectators.
- Anyone who wishes to fly must be licensed by the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA); please coordinate with the Bay City Flyers.
- One picnic table available at entrance.
Access and Parking
- Primary access is off SR 52 on south side of road about 3.5 miles east of US 41.
- ADA access and facilities available.
Limited Access Areas
Restrooms and Water
- Portable toilet available at main entrance. No water available.
- Portable toilet and nonpotable water available at Bay City Flyers model airplane field.