Purchased in the early 1990s, this property is part of a large greenway of public lands that protects the Chassahowitzka Swamp ecosystem and wildlife resources. The Chassahowitzka River’s headwaters, several tributaries and springs are within this tract and are known locally for their great sportfishing and crabbing. The vast expanse of salt marsh, hardwood swamps, crystal-clear springs and river are a canoeist’s paradise. The river has been designated an Outstanding Florida Water by the state of Florida.
Camping, a boat launch, boat rental and a camp store are available at Chassahowitzka River Campground and Recreation Area, which is operated by Citrus County Parks and Recreation Department.
- Trails on unpaved roads.
- Florida law requires bicyclists under 16 to wear helmets.
- Chassahowitzka River Trail is Site 51 on western section of Great Florida Birding Trail.
- Contact Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) for more information.
Boating and Paddling
- Single-lane boat ramp located at campground. Canoe and jon boat rentals.
- River is shallow – use shallow draft boats and keep track of tides.
- Watch for manatees.
- Chassahowitzka Campground has 80 full-service campsites with various levels of amenities, including electricity, sewer, water, tables, grills and fire rings. Group campsite also available.
- Call campground office for reservations; fee for camping.
- Bathhouse with showers, laundry facilities, shuffleboard court and picnic pavilion available.
- Saltwater fishing near gulf; freshwater fishing in springs.
- Contact FWC for license requirements.
- Access to dense, forested wetland provided by two-mile network of old logging roads built above grade.
- Roads not maintained or marked – be prepared for wet crossings at several narrow washouts.
- Limited picnic facilities available at boat dock.
Access and Parking
- Access obtained from US 19 by traveling west on Miss Maggie Drive (CR 480) to campground and boat launch facilities at end of road. Day-use fee.
- Access also available at end of Burnt Bridge Road, a dirt road that goes through the Withlacoochee State Forest to the property. Parking available at access point.
- ADA access and facilities available. Contact campground office for information.
Restrooms and Water
- Dogs allowed in county park only.
- Dogs must be on a leash no more than six feet in length at all times in campground.
- Proof of current vaccination required upon registration.
Nearby Recreation Lands
For More Information
- Chassahowitzka River Campground and Recreation Area Office, (352) 382-2200 voice/TDD
- Land Resources Department, Southwest Florida Water Management District, 1-800-423-1476 (FL only) or (352) 796-7211, ext. 4470