The Brooker Creek Preserve, managed by Pinellas County, is a valuable island of natural lands in an ever-increasing urban area. Pinellas County gave this property a special protection status and seeks to promote public awareness of the need to protect vital watersheds and natural areas in Florida. The property is a mixture of cypress and bottomland swamps, freshwater marshes and pine and oak hardwood forests.
- Site located on western section of Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail.
- Contact Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission for more information.
- Brooker Creek Preserve Environmental Education Center open to public; call (727) 453-6800 for more information.
- Pinellas County and its volunteers conduct various public educational activities, hikes and tours.
- 5 miles of equestrian trails available at Old Keystone Road entrance. Parking for horse trailers provided. Not open to buggies or carts.
- 4 miles of horse exercise trail located at walk-through off Lora Lane for ride-in access by
residents that live adjacent to the preserve. No parking area provided.
- Riders are required to stay on marked trails.
- Each rider must carry proof of horse’s current negative Coggins test.
- Florida law requires equestrians under 16 to wear helmets.
- Four loop trails are located near the education center ranging from 0.7 miles – 4 miles.
- Hikers are required to stay on marked trails.
- Portions of the trails may hold water during certain times of year.
- Scheduled guided hikes offered through education center.
- 1.75-mile interpretive trail located off Lora Lane.
Access and Parking
- Main entrance on south side of Keystone Road off CR 582.
- Horseback riding entrance with parking is located off Old Keystone Road.
- ADA access and facilities available.
Restrooms and Water
Restrooms and potable water are available at environmental education center.
Northeast Pinellas County
Nearby Recreation Lands
For More Information
- Education Center, (727) 453-6800
- Parks and Conservation Resources, (727) 582-2100, PinellasCounty.org/Park