Following the Governor's directions to reduce public gatherings and practice social distancing to reduce the spread of COVID-19, a public meeting to discuss and solicit comment on recommended minimum flows for the Lower Peace River will be held electronically via Microsoft Teams on Thursday, October 29, 2020 from 5:30 pm until 7:00 pm.
To join the meeting (Conference ID 838 375 52#) via Teams, please click-on or copy and paste the following link into your browser and follow the instructions provided at the website: Join Microsoft Teams Meeting. Alternatively, you can use this URL to join the meeting: https://bit.ly/2GjUvvv. Use of the Chrome browser is recommended for best compatibility with Teams.
For telephone-only participation, dial 1-786-749-6127 and when prompted enter the conference ID: 838 375 52#.
- The Southwest Florida Water Management District has scheduled a public meeting (webinar) to solicit stakeholder input on recommended minimum flows for the Lower Peace River.
- Minimum flows are limits beyond which further water withdrawals would be significantly harmful to the water resources or ecology of the area. Minimum flows are established as rules by the District Governing Board and used in regulatory and planning programs.
- Recommended minimum flows for the Lower Peace River were summarized in a draft report that was presented to the District Governing Board and made available on the District web site in March 2020. Independent, scientific peer review of the report was conducted from March through June 2020. A revised version of the draft minimum flows report will be posted on the District’s web site prior to the public workshop that has been scheduled for October 29, 2020. All public comment received prior to, during and subsequent to the workshop will be summarized for consideration by the Governing Board. District staff anticipate seeking Board approval for initiation of rulemaking for the proposed minimum flows at the Governing Board meeting scheduled for 12/15/2020.
- A Lower Peace River /Lower Shell Creek web page that includes links to the draft minimum flows report, a web forum used for the independent, scientific peer review, and other relevant information is available at the District web site at: https://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/projects/mfls/lower-peace-river/lower-shell-creek.
- Written comments on the recommended minimum flows for the Lower Peace River are welcome and should be submitted no later than November 30, 2020 to: Doug Leeper, MFLs Program Lead with the District’s Natural Systems and Restoration Bureau, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by U.S. Mail (2379 Broad Street, Brooksville, Florida, 34604-6899). Doug can also be reached by phone at 1-800-423-1476 or 352-796,7211, extension 4272.-only participation, dial 1-786-749-6127 and when prompted enter the conference ID: 838 375 52#.
Environmental Flows and Assessments Section
1-800-423-1476, ext. 4272
352-796-7211, ext. 4272