When it comes to pest management, nature takes care of itself! Misused pesticides in your yard can run off into waterways and harm beneficial insects. Follow these tips when managing yard pests:
- Learn to identify beneficial insects and let them do the work for you.
- Be tolerant! Low levels of pests will do minimal damage.
- Check plants regularly and prune off a plant’s infected areas or pick off insects when possible.
- Use pesticides only to spot-treat affected plants and lawn areas. Avoid blanket applications.
- Choose the least-toxic pesticides such as horticultural oils, insecticidal soaps and Bacillus thuringiensis (BT).
- Read and follow pesticide labels carefully for safe use and disposal.