- August 25 District to Hold Public Meeting on Priority List and Schedule for the Establishment of Minimum Flows and Levels
- August 18 Public Invited to Help Identify Flood Prone Areas in Portions of Sumter County
- August 16 District to Hold Workshop on Minimum and Guidance Levels for Lake Eva in Haines City
- District Schedules Prescribed Fires for Hillsborough County
February 7, 2007
Who: Southwest Florida Water Management District staff, National Wild Turkey Federation/Wheelin’ Sportsmen representatives, disabled hunters and volunteer guides
What: The District has partnered with the National Wild Turkey Federation/Wheelin’ Sportsmen to organize this quail hunt, which allows disabled men, women and young adults to experience the outdoors.
When: Saturday, Feb. 10, 11 a.m.
Where: The hunt will be held on the District’s Lake Manatee Preserve in Manatee County.
District Contact: Will Miller, 800-423-1476, ext. 4472 or cell (352) 279-1622
Wheelin’ Sportsmen Contact: Mike Blanton, 352-212-9718
Directions: The entrance is located north of Lake Manatee on SR 675.
Wheelin’ Sportsmen Quail Hunt
- The District is partnering with the National Wild Turkey Federation/Wheelin’ Sportsmen, a group dedicated to providing all people with disabilities the opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors. The group organizes hunts, fishing events, recreational shooting, and other outdoor activities.
- The Wheelin’ Sportsmen holds more than two dozen outdoor events in Florida each year.
- As part of the partnership, the District has agreed to let the organization use the District’s Lake Manatee Reserve for a quail hunt February 911. The property will be closed to the public. The Lake Manatee Reserve is located east of the lake in Manatee County. The entrance is located north of Lake Manatee on SR 675.
- February 9 is a check-in day for participants, who must also attend a mandatory meeting. The hunt will take place February 1011.
- Approximately 10 hunters will be taking part in the hunt. The hunters have already been selected. For more information about participating in future events, visit the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) web site http:/
- Hunters will use muzzleloaders during the deer and hog hunt.
- The South Creek Equestrian Riders, an equestrian club based out of Dade City, has volunteered to provide a meal for the hunters during this event. The club helps maintain trails, campgrounds, picnic sites and public entrances in the District’s Upper and Lower Hillsborough Tracts.