- January 17 Governing Board to Meet in Tampa
- January 09 District Welcomes New Government Affairs Program Manager
January 25, 2007
The Southwest Florida Water Management District’s Governing Board will review the Water Shortage Order, which restricts lawn watering throughout the District to one-day-per-week, at Tuesday’s meeting.
The water shortage order was declared earlier this month by the District’s Executive Director David L. Moore following a lengthy presentation by staff outlining the depressed hydrologic conditions. The order went into effect Jan. 16 and includes restrictions that apply to the use of water from public and private water utilities as well as the use of all wells and surface water sources (ponds, rivers, etc.).
During Tuesday’s meeting the Governing Board may choose to concur with the water shortage order, modify it or rescind it. The order will remain in place until July 31 unless otherwise modified or rescinded by the executive director or the Governing Board.
The following is a schedule and summary of the restrictions.
If your address (house number) ends in…
…0 or 1, water only on Monday
…2 or 3, water only on Tuesday
…4 or 5, water only on Wednesday
…6 or 7, water only on Thursday
…8 or 9*, water only on Friday
*and locations without a discernible address
Lawn & Landscape Watering
- If your city or county already has a once-per-week schedule in effect, your watering day will remain the same.
- If you were previously allowed to follow a twice-per-week schedule, you now need to follow the schedule shown.
- Unless your city or county already has stricter hours in effect, properties under two acres in size may only water before 8 a.m. or after 6 p.m.
- Unless your city or county already has stricter hours in effect, properties two acres or larger may only water before 10 a.m. or after 4 p.m.
- Variances are available if a property proposes an alternative irrigation plan (such as splitting a large property into two pieces and assigning a different day to each piece).
- Handwatering or microirrigation of non-lawn landscape is allowed.
- Certain exemptions are available, such as allowances for new plant material.