- October 08 District and City of Crystal River to Hold Ribbon Cutting for Reclaimed Water Project connecting the City to Duke Energy
- October 06 District Schedules Prescribed Fires for Hernando County
- October 01 District to Hold Workshop on Minimum and Guidance Levels For Lake Hancock in Polk County
- District to Hold Series of Hog Hunts in 2015-2016, Permits Will Be Available Online
December 22, 2011
District Seeking Public Input on Proposals for Four Properties
The Southwest Florida Water Management District recently completed an evaluation of eight District-managed lands to determine if additional hunting opportunities are available. Draft proposals for four of these lands will be presented at a public meeting on Thursday, Jan. 5. The meeting will begin at 6 p.m. at the Lecanto Government Building, 3600 West Sovereign Path, Suite 166, Lecanto.
The draft proposals are for the following lands:
- Chassahowitzka River and Coastal Swamps
- Halpata Tastanaki Preserve
- Lake Panasoffkee (Non-Wildlife Management Area)
- Weekiwachee Preserve
District staff will be available to present information and receive public comment. The draft proposals are available on the District’s website at WaterMatters.org/HuntEvaluation/.
After consideration of public comment, final proposals on these four properties are scheduled to be presented to the District’s 13-member Governing Board at its January 31 meeting. Any changes in hunting schedules are required to be approved by the Governing Board.
Recommendations for the other four properties that were part of the initial evaluation were presented to the Governing Board at its December 20 meeting. The Board approved expanded hunting at the Green Swamp Wilderness Preserve (Non-Wildlife Management Area) and the Lower Hillsborough Wilderness Preserve.
For more information on the hunt evaluation or the upcoming meetings, visit the District’s website at WaterMatters.org/HuntEvaluation or call the District’s Land Resources Department at 1-800-423-1476, ext. 4456.