- January 17 Governing Board to Meet in Tampa
- January 09 District Welcomes New Government Affairs Program Manager
September 22, 2009
The Southwest Florida Water Management District is seeking public input about the order in which minimum flows and levels (MFLs) for lakes, rivers, streams and aquifers in the District will be determined.
A minimum flow or level is the limit at which further water withdrawals will cause significant harm to the water resources and/or environment. The District Governing Board sets these limits as part of achieving the delicate balance between meeting human water needs and those of Florida’s natural systems.
Four public meetings will be held at the following dates and locations:
- Tuesday, Oct. 6, at the District’s Bartow Service Office, 170 Century Boulevard
- Tuesday, Oct. 6, at the District’s Tampa Service Office, 7601 U.S. Hwy. 301 North
- Thursday, Oct. 8, at the District’s Brooksville Headquarters, 2379 Broad Street
- Thursday, Oct. 8, at the District’s Sarasota Service Office, 6750 Fruitville Road
All meetings will begin at 6 p.m. and will be held in the boardroom of each office.
The purpose of the meetings is to receive public input on a draft revised priority schedule for establishing minimum flows and levels. Legislation requires the District to review and, if necessary, revise the schedule each year.
The meetings will provide an important opportunity for local governments, citizens and others to be part of the scheduling of minimum flows and levels for rivers, streams and other flowing waters, lakes and aquifers. The revised schedule will be considered for adoption at the Governing Board’s regularly scheduled meeting in October.
The adopted Minimum Flows and Levels Priority List and Schedule for 2009 is available on the District’s Web site at http:/
Written comments are also welcome and can be submitted via mail or e-mail to Marty Kelly, the District’s Minimum Flows and Levels program director, no later than Oct. 19. The addresses are 2379 Broad Street, Brooksville, FL 34604-6899 or Marty.Kelly
For more information, please contact Barbara Matrone at 1-800-423-1476, ext 4233. or Marty Kelly ext. 4235.