Seek the leak
Leaks are the biggest water waster. Even a small faucet leak can waste 300 or more gallons of water per month! Take a few minutes to find out if you have a leak in your home.
Use your water meter to check for leaks
- Turn off all faucets and water-using appliances and make sure no one uses water during the testing period. Remember to wait for the hot water heater and ice cube makers to refill and for regeneration of water softeners.
- Go to your water meter and record the current reading. Wait 30 minutes. (Remember: no water should be used during this period.)
- Read the meter again. If the reading has changed, you have a leak.
- If you have a well, listen for the pump to kick on and off while the water is not in use. If it does, you have a leak.
- If you cannot find the leak using these tips, you should consult a plumber.
For more information on fixing leaks, visit the EPA Fix A Leak website